As the Cowboys continue to lose, it appears that no major changes will happen just yet.
Since quarterback Dak Prescott suffered a season-ending injury, the Cowboys have been outscored by nearly 60 points. Andy Dalton and Ben DiNucci have been ineffective and the Cowboys sit at the halfway point of the season with a record of 2-6.
Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan appears to be safe despite the Cowboys owning the worst defense in the league. On the other side, offensive coordinator Kellen Moore has been receiving some heat.
On Monday, head coach Mike McCarthy confirmed that he will not take away Moore’s play calling responsibilities. According to ESPN’s Todd Archer, McCarthy said “absolutely not,” and that the conversation was “non-topic.”
It appears that the Cowboys administration are willing to ride this out. Before the trade deadline, executive vice president Stephen Jones said the Cowboys would not be sellers. Last week, when the Cowboys lost 25-3 to the Washington Football Team, Jones confirmed that the team would not get rid of McCarthy.
“I know we’ve got the right head guy for the job,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan on the following Monday. “. . . These things just take time. I know our fans are frustrated. We certainly understand the criticism that’s come our way. But we’ve got to go to work.”
The Cowboys are just 1.5 games back of the Eagles in the division, but at four games under .500, their season does not look hopeful.
Next week, the Cowboys must take on the undefeated 7-0 Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday afternoon.