In a latest update, this time provided by Cowboys reporter Clarence Hill Jr. via social media, Andy Dalton is not scheduled to practice on Saturday. The former Bengals quarterback, and current replacement for the injured Dak Prescott, was knocked out of the game on Sunday with a concussion.
Dalton has been threading the needle between starting and inactive all week, but this final confirmation message has likely sealed his fate. Earlier this week, The Athletic’s Jon Machota claimed that DiNucci was the likely starter. The 2020 seventh-round pick has been taking reps with the first team, so we should expect him to suit up.
Dalton has apparently been participating in meetings but has not practiced according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. The Athletic’s Jon Machota confirmed earlier this week that Dalton would not likely suit up on Sunday. Rapoport’s report makes it official.
“#Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy told reporters that QB Andy Dalton participated in the QB meeting, but won’t practice. It appears, based on where he is in the protocol, that Dalton is unlikely to play this Sunday. Ben DiNucci has received all the first-team reps.”
DiNucci made his NFL debut last Sunday when Dalton was knocked out of the game by Jonathan Bostic. Out of 12 snaps, he completed 2 of 3 passes for 39 yards. However, he was sacked three times and fumbled twice.
Machota confirmed that Dalton is unlikely to suit up at all on Sunday, which prompted the team to sign Cooper Rush as insurance. According to Cowboys reporter David Helman, the 23-year old didn’t expect to be in this situation, but he is ready.
“Ben DiNucci says he figured there was no chance he’d see the field this year with Dak Prescott & Andy Dalton on the roster. “But it’s 2020, what else do you expect? Here we are.”
According to Helman, DiNucci said “he couldn’t be happier or more excited” to lead the Cowboys offense on Sunday. He will get a chance to try and redeem himself for his efforts in the team’s 25-3 loss to the Washington Football Team.